Table of Contents
In today’s Internet-driven world, online channels such as social media, Google search, and email have made it easier and more convenient for businesses to connect with customers. As more and more people send time online (as of January 2021, internet penetration in Australia is at a whopping 89% of the total population), many companies, big or small, choose digital channels over traditional marketing tactics.
Whether you’re starting a business or launching a new product, there are countless ways to reach your target audience through digital marketing activities. In today’s modern landscape, these online tactics can serve as the strongest weapons in your marketing arsenal.
What are Digital Marketing Activities?
At their most basic definition, digital marketing activities encompass every marketing effort that involves the use of the Internet or electronic devices. These days, it means using various online channels and tactics to connect with your target audience. For instance, you may consider leveraging channels such as search engines, email, or social media to reach your target audience.
Your digital marketing activities serve as the series of actions or building blocks within your strategy. They will guide you toward reaching your business goals. For example, you can post blog articles on your website and then share them on your Facebook page to generate more leads through that channel.
Without further ado, here are the different digital marketing activities and how each one can help you achieve success online.
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the practice of increasing non-paid, organic traffic to your website. You achieve this by improving your visibility and ranking on search engines like Google.
But how exactly do you make your site’s pages rank high on search engine results?
Search engines use algorithms to give each website a score or ranking. These scores and rankings influence the position of your web pages for specific search queries. If you have higher ranking scores, you’ll have a higher position on the search engine results.
The score your website gets depends on several factors, summed into three major ones:
- Does your site provide high-quality, relevant, and valuable content to users?
- Does your content contain expert-level information that proves your authority in the industry?
- Does your website comply with search engine guidelines and have a good reputation in the industry?
By providing content that’s high-quality, authoritative, and trustworthy, you can land on the top positions of the search results for relevant keywords.
Different Approaches to Search Engine Optimization
As SEO is the process of optimizing your site to make it rank higher on Google, it involves different approaches. These include:
- On-page SEO. This mainly means your website’s content. By researching keywords and understanding customer content (what motivates customers to convert or make a purchase), you can answer high-volume search queries and provide fresh, helpful content to prospects.
- Off-page SEO. As the name implies, off-page SEO includes tactics that occur outside your website. For instance, publishing guest blog articles and press releases are off-page techniques that you can use to improve your website’s ranking. The main goal of off-page SEO is to boost your site’s authority and relevance.
- Technical SEO. This SEO approach focuses on your website’s backend, such as the technical aspects that make it easier for search engines to crawl and index your site, leading to improved rankings. Examples of technical SEO are increasing your site’s loading speed and fixing the navigational structure.
However, keep in mind that search engine optimization stretches beyond how search engines assess your site. If you really want your SEO to work, you need to understand searcher intent and learn about the keywords they use, the solutions they seek, and the type of content they want to read. This involves intensive keyword research and analysis as well as crafting engaging, informative content.
Pay Per Click
Pay per click, or commonly known as PPC, is one of the digital marketing activities that falls under search engine marketing. When someone types in keywords to the search engine, Google will display the ads you created to direct searchers to your landing pages. As the name implies, you only pay when online users interact with your ad through clicks.
When done right, pay per click marketing can earn you quality leads. This is because PPC ads are the results you see before the organic search results. You can attract people who are already interested in your offer and boost your ROI. Plus, since you only pay each time someone clicks on your ad, it’s a cost-effective way of driving traffic to your site.
Today, a professionally-designed and visually stunning website is central to succeeding online. After all, 94% of first impressions are related to web design.
In a nutshell, web design is the process of creating websites. As one of the essential digital marketing activities, it encompasses many different aspects, including website structure and layout, color choice, graphics, font styles, and content production. These web design elements influence how your content is published and displayed to your visitors, which also affect how search engines crawl and index your site.
Web design affects user experience and SEO
When planning the design of your website, always keep users in mind. Make sure your website is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Otherwise, users will lose interest and leave, increasing your bounce rate. According to Google, a high bounce rate will negatively affect your rankings.
Additionally, ensure that your website loads fast and that it’s easy for users to find and click on all the links. The website should also display properly, regardless of the device a visitor’s using to access your site. Google now considers mobile-friendliness and page loading speeds as key ranking factors. If you want to rank high on Google, optimize your web design for these factors.
Social Media Marketing
Let’s move on to one of the most popular digital marketing activities: social media marketing. Social media is one of the fastest growing trends in Internet history. Within the first 10 years of being available to the public, various social media platforms amassed a billion users. As of January 2021, there are 20.50 million users in Australia. That’s equivalent to 79.9% of the total population.
The sheer number of users is proof that social media marketing holds great power in building relationships with your customers, connecting with a wider audience, and driving greater sales. A well-oiled social media marketing strategy can help you achieve all those and more.
Digital marketing activities revolving around social media include:
- Researching your buyer persona and audience. Determining who your buyer personas and audience are is the first step in creating a social media marketing This lets you target their interests and needs appropriately and decide on the types of content that will attract and keep them interested.
- Determining which social platforms you’ll market on. In social media marketing, it’s crucial to determine which platforms you’re going to share your content on. There’s no right or wrong answer to which social channels you should use. Once you figure out your buyer personas and audience, you’ll know where they spend most of their time online.
- Creating unique and engaging content. The more unique and engaging a post is, the more it stands out and compels people to share it, interact with your brand, and convert into a customer. There are tons of content that you can put out — from photos with viral-quality captions to live videos where you conduct a giveaway or launch a new product.
- Organizing a schedule for your posts. This ensures you share your content as planned. You can automatically post or share your content on schedule, helping you save time and focus on other tasks.
Now, let’s talk about an oldie but a goldie — email marketing. As one of the first digital marketing activities, it’s not as shiny as some of the others on the list but it remains one of the most effective ways to connect with your target audience and build lasting relationships with customers.
Contrary to what others may say, email marketing isn’t dead. It’s one of the few digital marketing activities you can use to build authentic connections that will keep your business alive. Of course, it will only truly work if you use it right and not in a spammy way. This means sending your subscribers with relevant and valuable information that will help them take action on their goals.
In a nutshell, email marketing isn’t entirely about you or your company. It’s about your customer. Don’t just send emails about new products or services. Send them discount codes, promos, and helpful tips or guides too. Keep this golden rule in mind and your subscribers will always look forward to hearing from you.
Leverage Digital Marketing Activities for Business Growth
In today’s Internet-driven world, a huge part of your marketing strategy has to be online. This comes with the responsibility of conducting digital marketing activities and maintaining a strategy that helps you achieve your businesses through online channels.
Start with the digital marketing activities we listed above. The web is vast and ever-expanding but with the right strategy and tools, you can cover all the bases and take your business to the next level.
For more information and inquiries on digital marketing activities, don’t hesitate to contact SEO Servicces Australia today.